I have a confession. I own seven email accounts, and I check each at least three times a day. Some accounts are checked by habit, and other accounts are checked because it’s necessary. I also just recently gave in to peer pressure and joined Snapchat, so that makes a total of seven social media accounts.
When it comes to content marketing (or any type of marketing), social media dominates the conversation. I’m the perfect example of a consumer that utilizes both, but which one is really better?
These mind-blowing statistics will make you think twice before you underestimate the power of email marketing.
• The total number of worldwide email accounts is expected to increase to over 4.3 billion accounts by year-end 2016.
• Six in ten American workers who use the Internet say email is “very important” for doing their job.
• 90% of email gets delivered to the intended recipient’s inbox, whereas only 2% of your Facebook fans see your posts in their News Feed.
• Email marketing has an ROI of 3800%.
• 81% of online shoppers who receive emails based on previous shopping habits were at least somewhat likely to make a purchase as a result of targeted email.
• 72% people prefer to receive promotional content through email, compared to 17% who prefer social media.
• Personalized emails deliver 6x higher transaction rates.
• Millennials are the age group most likely to check their email from bed (70%), from the bathroom (57%), or while driving (27%).
• 58% of adults check their email first thing in the morning.
• It’s estimated that 91 percent of consumers check email at least once a day on their smartphones.
• In 2014, email marketing was cited as the most effective digital marketing channel for customer retention in the United States.
An effective marketing plan includes both social media and email marketing, but if these two methods went head to head in a fight match, email marketing gets my vote.
Want to learn more about the power of email marketing? Register here for Email Marketing 101: The Business Owner’s Guide to Mailchimp.